Tuesday 16 October 2007

End of another era in the Liberal Democrats

I heard very early in the morning indeed, while visiting my daughter in Singapore, that Ming had resigned. This timing will give his successor a reasonable run up to a General Election and for this we must be thankful.

The good news is that our party has abundant talent who can take on this challenge and move the Liberal Democrats to the forefront of new thinking in the country. Most people are generally not interested in politics and are apathetic. Is this down to the politicians or media reporting? Who knows? But politics is about the art of engaging people with new ideas. Our party can, in my view, afford to be risk takers and innovative. In fact, we must be. We cannot be seen as bland, grey and boring. I want our party to become colourful again.

I look forward to the contest.

No comments: